about tuticorin-pearlcity    contact us     
 
 
Shopping
Links

Welcome to the Best Image Collection and information portal for Tuticorin.

 

Welcome to Thoothukudi... Tuticorin... Pearlcity... Muthunagar, Thirumanthira Nagar.

Tuticorin is called as Thoothukudi  in Tamil. Dating back to 1658, Dutch called this place as Tuticorin. There are two more famous names for this town namely pearl city and its direct tamil translation muthu nagar.

Tuticorin area was ruled by Pandian Kings until 1532. Until 1658 Portuguese controlled this area. Later from 1658 to 1782 Dutch captured and ruled. In 1782, British took over. Except few years with Dutch it is fully ruled by English until India got Independence in 1947.  Obviously the port has played a major role for everyone to come down here for easy transport and PEARLS from this region.

This portal provides as much information as possible about thoothukudi. Check the photo library section to see tuticorin.
 

How to reach Tuticorin?
 
  Airport is at Vagaikulam (10 km from town) and King Fisher flies daily from Chennai.

The broad gauge railway station is connecting Chennai and Mysore with daily trains.

See the railway station 

Thoothukudi port is one of the largest ports in India and handling huge amount of Cargo everyday.

There are good roads connecting from Tirunelveli, Madurai and Kanniyakumari. (some are 4 lanes now).

See some of the tuticorin roads here.

 

Quick reference
  STD Number: +91 461 xxxxxx

Postal codes: 628 xxx

 

   

 
 
Disclaimer    |   tuticorin-pearlcity 2008